Oh, people. I am ridiculously excited about this book.
Let’s take a moment to read these fine words:
“Cull’s illustrations resemble a kooky comic strip, perfect for Sauer’s goofy humor… Sure to elicit laughter.”
— Kirkus Reviews
“Riotous… the participants seem deeply satisfied by this unadulterated silliness — and readers should be, too.”
— Publishers Weekly
How happy am I to be associated with “kooky,” “goofy,” “riotous,” and “unadulterated silliness?” Answer: very.
To introduce you to The Underpants, I hereby give you 10 behind-the-scenes facts:
- In the spring of 2020, my editor at Scholastic, Ken Geist, suggested I try writing a book that was a take on The Mitten and call it The Underpants.
- This might have been the best suggestion I have ever received in my entire life.
- The word “underpants” is comic gold.
- Sometimes, it seems to take forever to hammer out the characters, plot, setting, humor, voice, and feel of a book to get it juuuuuuust right. This was not one of those books. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it the moment I had this gift of an idea in my hot, little hands.
- Back in the mid-nineties, I was a library media specialist. I loved sharing Jan Brett’s version of The Mitten with my pre-k kids. I would read it. Then we would act it out with each kid playing the role of an animal and a big blanket playing the role of the mitten.
- At the end of The Underpants, I included an author’s note that shares some history about The Mitten. Not only was it written by Jan Brett, but an earlier version was written by Alvin Tresselt. Upon further research, I discovered even MORE versions. These books (and mine) are based on an old Ukrainian folktale. The original author is unknown.
- This is Joren Cull’s first(!!!) picture book.
- Joren Cull is my hero.
- The Underpants is dedicated to teachers everywhere–especially these ladies: Miss Rome, Mrs. Werner, Mrs. Zellmer, Mrs. Piatt, and Mrs. Colwell. Yes, I am almost 50 years old. Yes, I am still unable to call my teachers by their first names. 🙂
- One of the best lines I have ever written occurs in this book when Cow joins Kitty, Dog, Pig, and Rooster. That line is as follows: “It was a tighty-whitey fit.”
For a chance to win a copy of The Underpants, please comment on this post and/or share the post on Twitter. Be sure to tag @SauerTammi.
For an EXTRA chance at winning, simply follow Picture Book Builders on Instagram and like the post for The Underpants.
Congratulations, Kimberly Beek! You won a copy of Mary Had a Little Plan.
Let the silliness begin!
Love the back story Tammi!
This looks like so much fun! The illustrations are fantastic! Congratulations!
Thanks, Mark! 🙂
I can’t wait to see and share this silliness! Thanks for sharing the story behind the story, Tammi. Go UNDERPANTS!
Thanks, Sue! 🙂
Thanks, Rosemary! 🙂
OMG, how fun!!!! I cannot wait to read this.
Thanks, Debra! 🙂
This week I sent a thank you note to my first grade teacher, and writing “Dear Cheryl” was a REAL struggle.
Now I have regrets…
Congrats Tammi and Joren!
Thanks, Cathy! 🙂
I know my son would love this book, can’t wait to read it!
Thanks, Em! 🙂
This looks like so much fun!
Thanks, Mia! 🙂
Underwear is definitely comic gold! I’m already smiling and I haven’t read this book yet. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of this hilarious book.
Thanks for stopping by Picture Book Builders! 🙂
This looks hilarious! I agree the idea is gold!
Thanks, Heather! 🙂
This one will be a story time hit!
Thanks, Tena! 🙂
Underpants! Almost nothing is funnier—can’t wait to read this book! Underpants!!!
(PS apologies if another similar post from me shows up—got an error on my last try.)
Thanks, Lynn! 🙂
As a fan of The Mitten and folk tales in general, I eagerly await this book!
Thanks, Kathy! 🙂
Tammi, in your hands, Underpants is sure to delight. Congratulations!!!
Thanks, Vijaya! 🙂
You’re right. Underpants is such a funny word. Congratulations, Tammi. I can’t wait to read and see what happens.
Thanks, Ashley! 🙂
Kids are going to love this, as am I! Congrats!
Thanks, Danielle! 🙂
Awesome! Underpants sounds like another winner!
Thanks, Emma! 🙂
“It was a tighty-whitey fit.” Brilliant! LOL.
Hahaha! I was pretty proud of myself when I came up with that line!
This looks delightful!
Thank you! 🙂
I already knew I’d love this book based solely on the cover and title. But now that I know there’s a line that uses the words tighty-whitey? Just take my money now! It’s a must-own.
Hahaha! I like how you think! 🙂
This sounds like some silly excellence!! My 5 year old would love it!
Thanks, Stephanie! 🙂
Hooray! Another Tammi book full of kooky, goofy, riotous, and unadulterated silliness? I’m on board! Loved hearing how it came to be!
Thanks, Penny! 🙂
Can’t wait to read this one!
Thanks, Susan! 🙂
Congratulations Tammi and Joren! It looks and sounds hilarious. Can’t wait to read it and I really enjoyed the backstory! Woot, Woot!!!!!
Thanks, Jennifer! 🙂
I can’t wait to read this with my nephew. I know it will be a hoot!
Thanks, Sandi! 🙂
Congrats! I can’t wait to read this one.
Thanks, Carol! 🙂
Having taught primary for a zillion years, I know this will be a wii er. Congratulati
Thanks, Sandie! 🙂
This book looks hilarious! Think my twins would love it.
Thanks, Zachary! 🙂
The cover says it all, but I can’t wait to read the words too! Congrats on this beauty!
Thanks, Lauri! 🙂
I would LOVE to read this to a classroom of kids. We’d laugh ourselves silly!
Thanks, Kathy! 🙂
Sounds hilarious! How neat your editor came up with the idea!
Thanks, Tina! 🙂
Congratulations, Tammi! I can’t wait to read it. Your books sounds hilarious!
Thanks, Kim! 🙂
So much fun! Congratulations.
Thanks, Buffy! 🙂
You had me at underpants!
This book looks amazing. I know quite a few little ones who will be in undie heaven reading this. Thanks for sharing! Going to share in on Twitter right now and will follow on IG.
Thanks, Ellen! 🙂
This book looks like it will be such a fun read. Excited!
Thanks, Nelly! 🙂
Congrats, Tammi! This looks like a fun book.
Thanks, Susan! 🙂
Tammi, what a hilarious idea!! Congrats!!! Can’t wait to see it for myself!
Thanks, Jill! 🙂
This book takes the “silly award.” Looks fantastic. Congrats on another winner.
Thanks, Gayle! 🙂
I can’t wait to read this book to my kindergartners!
I require this book for my classroom. Full stop.
Ha! Everyone should!
This would be a huge hit in my school’s library!
Thanks, Lori! 🙂
Can’t wait to read this one in my…..wait for it…..UNDERPANTS! 🙂
What a fun take. I’ve read a few versions, but not underpants. Kids will love it!
Thanks, Norah! 🙂
Thanks for sharing the inspiration for this fun book. I can’t wait to read it!
Thanks, Judy! 🙂
I am busting my britches with excitement to read this book!!!sounds so funny!
I have a grandson who will cackle wii if th laughter!!
OMG this sounds hilarious! Can. Not. Wait. to get my hands on your Underpants! (wait, that came out wrong! LOL)